Thursday, January 17, 2008

Saving Day Camp



For the past 6 summers I have had the opportunity to work with the YMCA Day Camp program. It's an amazing program that allows kids to come spend their summer days doing awesome activities...beach, pool, rockwall, field games and the best part...FIELD TRIPS like Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and wild rivers for example. For the past few years I have also had the opportunity to help lead the camp and plan the activities. Summer 08' was going to be the summer I ran it all. I was so excited to have a real leadership role and some status. I was also so excited to make this summer the best!! It caught me by surprise that the YMCA organization decided to cancel day camp??? WHAT? I was so shocked! The counselors from last year were just as surprised and disappointed. We went and talk to the association and they told us that we needed to come up with a proposal on why day camp should still be run by the YMCA. Lauren, Mahri and I spent hours planning and creating an outline for the summer. We were so excited and knew this was going to be the best summer yet!! Yesterday we went to discuss our proposal and gave an awesome presentation. Unfortunately the young lady who will make the final decision still isn't convinced that day camp should be on! She loved our ideas and was really impressed with what we had planned but the whole money issue and the business aspect of the YMCA is getting in the way of "why" this program is so important. We don't just provide child care for kids who have both parents working over the summer...we provide a summer!! We let them be rowdy and and have so much fun! Although her answer was not no...The impression she left with us was not a very positive one. We are hoping for the best and keeping our fingers crossed. But even with that said...I have been sad and frustrated for the past 24 hours and probably in need of a new job. If anyone out there has any advice for jobs please...let me know! And if you have any suggestions on how to save day camp...please again...let me know!

Just some fun pictures from last summer!!




3 comments:

Liz Johnston said...

Day Camp needs to stay alive because of the values that the YMCA teaches kids. It is so important to teach children at a young age the importance of those values honesty, faith, etc. At the YMCA we can talk to kids about that stuff. (I can't remember them all.. oops but I haven't been a counselor for over a year and half so it's allowed. Good Luck!

Steph said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YMCA
Perhaps it could help to remind the board what the YMCA stands for and its mission and you could get the input of the parents and children that participated in it and what it means to them.. introduce ways they could save in their budget, change the program to change rates, hours...etc..
With the deterioration of the family and teaching children, it is important to have positive activities for the children to be involved in the summer time.. they need places to go for positive, wholesome, recreational activity.
Good luck!

Kim said...

Do I need to remind them that you are basically the best camp leader available in southern cal? :) I'm sorry michelle; keep a chin up ... maybe the'll suprise you! :)